Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2014 rear camera quit working after we had electrical issues

Customer Question
with truck camper had to...
2014 rear camera quit working after we had electrical issues with truck camper had to replace m\numerous fuses. Is there a way to test to see which fuse and or connector might be a problem before taking to dealership
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
12/31/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 10 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What is the year, make, model of the vehicle? What electrical problems did you have? I'm presuming it is a Ford since this posted in the Ford category. Do you have the SYNC system with stock camera or is it a after market camera system?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

2014 Ford F350 4x4 diesel with stock Sync system
late October we blew numerous fuses while our camper was on the truck (camper had weak battery which we did not figure out till later) lost running lights and tail lights etc .. electrical problems with Camper and Truck fuses blown.. all were replaced while camper was still on truck. Our camera did not work once camper was removed and tailgate was added back...

Where is the camera on this one? Is it at the license plate or at the tailgate? If at the tailgate, check the wires for the tailgate and see if it cam unplugged. If at the license plate, behince it there is a short wire and then a plug connector nest to the trailer connection. See if it was unplugged by mistake when the tailgate was put in.

One other check because these SYNC systems have been messing up like crazy and need to be rest once in awhile. This is what Ford will do so I'll save some money on this. They charge an hour of labor for a SYNC reset when this is the only stey they do. You can tell them to rule it out if you have to go because this doesn't work.

Go into the cab and open the compartment for the fuse box. Have the key turned off for this step. Use a flash light and look up to the fuse box and on the side of it, you will see a gray plug. That plug is for your SYNC system and camera module. Unplug that plug and leave it unplugged for about 1 to 2 minutes. Plug it back in and you will see the SYNC system activate. Turn the key on and the system will black scren for about a minute, then it will show a bar on the bottom of it for the initializing of the system. Wait for it to finish (it is ok to start the vehicle if needed) and see if the back up camera works properly after it is done. That completely restarts the module (it won't lose your settings). Most times that resolves it. If it doesn't, then I would suggest having the dealer look at it and see what the issue is for it will be in the line somewhere.

Jeremy
Jeremy