Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

I have the 2011 Expd EL Limited w/ the computer controlled

Customer Question

Hello, I have the 2011 Expd EL Limited w/ the computer controlled HVAC system. In the heat mode (and I assume in the AC mode), the blower motor will run as it should in speeds 1,2,3 & 4 - when you adjust up to speeds 5 & 6 the blower will run fine for 2 to 4 seconds and then it shuts off - resetting the blower speed control to speeds 1,2 or 3 again, shutting the vehicle off for a few seconds and starting it up again the blower will come back on and run fine in the lower 3 speed selections, turing the speed selection to the higher speeds again it will run for a couple seconds and then shut down again - but, the motor will stay on and run fine for whatever length of drive time you have as long as you do not exceed the 3rd speed level / obviously the higher speed it desired for defrost and defog operations - not sure if this is a computer, switch, relay problem or something else ??
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 102,000 mi, starting and running excellent
JA: What is the model of your '11 Ford?
Customer: The EL Limited, other than that I'm not sure what you are looking for, my previous Expd was an XLT, this one is not that designation.......
JA: Are you fixing your EXP yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Today I did a through cleaning of the + & - posts and cables including the connecting wires that are attached to the positive cable and also to the power distribution box / I noticed that other day when i opened the access lid on the power distribution box water and dust/dirt had obviously been collecting around the fuses and relays so i removed all components individually, cleaned contacts and reinstalled but that didn't seem to make any difference, i've only owned this vehicle for a few weeks at this point.........
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of, only having problems w/ the front cabin blower motor function, rear works fine
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** of the time this is caused by an issue with the blower motor control module. The module fails internally and causes this. In some cases it is the blower motor itself but that is not as common. You can test this circuit with a voltage meter to see which one is causing this, but most of the time it is the module itself. If you need more help please let me know.