david carrier
david carrier,
Experience:  lead technician at firestone
96761930

I locked my fob key in my car. Roadside assistance came and

Customer Question

I locked my fob key in my car. Roadside assistance came and got me in the car so I have my fob now but its gives me a error and the alarm goes off when i try to get in with the physical key and says put key in back up location.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: yes and i just replaced it with a brand new one. As of this morning i was able to get and my car and was driving it just fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2016 ford focus titanium
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i was working it with the roadside assistance guy but we couldn't figure it out. we were trying to google where the back up key location is for the car but couldn't find anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope thats its that as far as i can tell the fob is fine but i get the theft flashing light and its keeps asking me to put the key in a back up location but i have no idea where its is in the car
Category: Ford
Expert:  david carrier replied 8 months ago.

hi this is dave do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i do

if your standing outside the car does your driveres door have a spot to put a key

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
typing is fine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it does
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but when i put the key in and turn it the alarm starts and asks me to put the key in a back up location

have you taken the actual backup key out of the keyfob itself?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its the only way i can get into the car at all now is which the physical key from the fob. but like i said the alarm goes off and it give me the put key in back up location error

have you put the fob into the port on the steering colomn

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the 2016 ford focus titanium doesn't have that
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
unless Im mistaken i see no port or anything on the steering wheel

there should be a black cover that hides it

does yours look like this

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no me and the roadside assistance guy looked for its not on this model. theres no black cap thing to pop open anywhere on the steering wheel in this car. the 2016 model does not come with that.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we tried googling it to and i can't find anything. it recognizes that the key is in the car but we have no idea where the backup locations is that we are supposed to put the key to take the error off

I have only seen them in the column and under the column near were your knees are.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if it doesn't have that? like i said we look all over the steering wheel?

I'm accessing m ford site now give me one moment.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok

there is also a pocket in the center console near the aux jacks did you look there?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no i can. let me go do that

ok please let me no if that works

any luck?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no theres nothing in the center console. i looked for the slot i know what it looks like because we came upon it when we were googling solutions earlier.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
still the same thing i open the door with the physical key. the red info light is flashing and it says place key in back up location There is nothing on the steering wheel and the center console only has a usb and a cigeratte lighter plug. theres no slot to sit a key fob. we tried the think you turn on the inside of the door that doesn't do anything either

I'm going to be at my shop in the am and can asccess another system there to check i will check back with you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok thanks

no problem

if you wouldn't mind giving my service a rating for tonight it would be greatly appreciated and it would also lock s into the question so we can keep working on this together till its done. its also the only way i get any credit for my work