Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a '09 Escape hybrid. I went to start it this morning,

Customer Question

I have a '09 Escape hybrid. I went to start it this morning, the engine would not turn over. I have electrical power. The orange wrench light came on. Red triangle light came on. Message "stop safely now" is displayed
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: Check engine light is on
JA: Are you fixing your Escape Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No repairs yet. Trying to figure out whats wrong. If it may be a fix I can do. Or get it towed to a shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car was driven yesterday, no problems. Sat over nigh, so it was a cold start this morning.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The hybrid control unit/ecu has detected a fault with one of its components and is causing the message you see here.This is disabling the starting of the vehicle until the fault is repaired.This can be a large number of different components causing this fault from the battery to one of the sensors or wiring even.

What will have to be done from here unfortunately is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model.Once this is done any codes set will need then diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.Once repaired the codes are cleared out with the same scan tool and the vehicle will start and run then.

Unfortunately since there are so many different components that can cause this issue here the codes do need checked with a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle to locate the issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete