Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 1999 E350 with a 5.4. Some backround: Entire top

Customer Question

I have a 1999 E350 with a 5.4. Some backround: Entire top end rebulit with heads, timing chains, components, and all peripheral items. Has 124,000 miles but was run hard before I got it so I had to do everything. Normally runs great but once in a while it stalls after idling at a stop light when I attempt to accelerate. If I turn the ignition off and restart, it runs fine. Problem is more frequent after the van sits for a while. While idling the engine speed will drop to a point where the lights dim and it wont move but it will continue to idle. I ran diagnostics and the system shows no codes, pending codes or monitors. When it runs, it feels great. I am stumped.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: No check engine light. Only happens at idle to initial acceleration
JA: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Like I said. Nothing for this problem specifically but the entire top end is new, all the coils, plugs, water pump, crank sensor, o2 sensors, map sensor, mass air flow sensor etc.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I covered most of it, thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

I recommend replacing the IAC valve for this low idle speed/stalling concern your experiencing.

On other possible cause is the transmission pressure to low and the converter is not saying full at idle.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris