Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2007 crown vic (police interceptor) and maybe because it was

a police car the horn...
2007 crown vic (police interceptor) and maybe because it was a police car the horn is not working? Regardless, I need to know what to do to get my horn working. I can press the pad and hear a click, i don't know where to go from there.
11/28/2016
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

The click is it from the fuse box or from within the steering wheel?

Does the cruise control work?

Does the horn work with the panic button on the fob pressed?

click is on the steering wheel. there is no cruise control. no key fob.

If you remove the horn relay under the hood are there 2 pins which have battery voltage?

Where is this relay?

It is in the fuse box under the hood. Do you have a owners manual showing where all fuses and relays are?

No I do not
ok that big fuse is clicking when pressing the horn.

Thanks,

Since the relay is clicking can you remove the relay and confirm 2 pins are powered there? If so then we need to move onto checking the horns by hot wiring power to them.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

I replaced it with another good fuse, same thing- clicks but nothing

I never said to remove or replace a fuse. Are you sure your responding to the correct post, I see you have 3 open posts.

I meant relay...
I meant relay....

Thanks, ***** ***** do the steps I mentioned to do with the relay removed and checking for power to the horns?

ok i used my light yes there is power in 2 slots

Great, can you unplug the horns and see if that wire is powered from the relay when you press the horn. If it is then the horns are bad or not grounded good. If there is no power then they have cut the wire somewhere.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Sorry busy weekend I'll check it out at the beginning of this next week for sure

Thanks for the update

sorry been crazy here- ok so there is no power to horns. I have another ford so I pulled horns from this crown vic and plugged them into my other ford- horns work perfectly. so there is clearly a wiring problem. next to the horn and all around there are cut wires everywhere (I'm guessing from all the police lights.). so to do this easier can you walk me through how to wire this to the working relay? thanks

The post has timed out an I do not have the option to submit answers. Once you have rated the post, reply and then I will as well.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
I did rate it. Can you help me further?

Thanks for rating and replying.

Here is the wire diagram for this circuit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/cvhorn.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/cvhorn1.pdf

Is any of this wiring still there able to use without adding relays?

thanks. I am not sure. so is this power wire yellow or green that I am looking for?

The yellow/light green wire should get powered by the relay when you press the horn.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician