Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2000 f250. engine goes to idle speed and acclerator is not

Customer Question

2000 f250. engine goes to idle speed and acclerator is not responsive ,ses light comes on. after stopping and putting truck in neutral, things return to normal.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: service engine light
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i have a handyman if i know what to replace
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thatis all
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 9 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. the first thing that needs done is to have the computer scanned for fault codes. my bet is the throttle position sensor or accelerator position sensor, but i need to make sure so when you get the code/s please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do i get it scanned?

you can take it to autozone and they will do it for free. just dont forget to write the codes down.

were you able to get the codes?

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

What liter engine do you have?

Any codes stored?

One possible cause is a failure of teh accelerator pedal position sensor if this is a diesel.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris