Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I was working on my spark plugs and my wrench handle hit my

Customer Question
relay power box which caused...
i was working on my spark plugs and my wrench handle hit my relay power box which caused a spark, and soon after i foind that my 97 f150 did not have any headlights, no dash board, no radio, no power window, or can not start
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it is consistent
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked all fuses where under the hood and and steering wheel. but i found one blown fuse which is number 20 and replaced it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/28/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 1 year ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I can help you locate or pinpoint the root cause. I do need a bit more information from you.

Does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check?

Does the engine crank over and not start or does it not crank over at all?

What size engine do you have? May I get your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No te check engine light does not come on. The truck does not crank at all. The sizebof the engine is 4.6

So the starter does not activate?

Do you know if the vehicle has RAP (remote antitheft personality)?

Automatic transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No starter does not activate, no rap, and yes automatic transmission

Ok, lets check fuse 21 in the junction box fuse relay panel for battery voltage with the key in the CRANK position.

If there is no power on this fuse with the key in the CRANK position, then we check the ignition switch and inputs to the ignition switch. It is possible there is no power going to the ignition switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the inputs located to the ignition switch

That would be the fuses in the power distribution box

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are more than one power box, one underneath the hood and one inside next to the steering wheel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i check the relay box, but the input to ignition is where underneath hood or next to steering wheel

The power distribution box is located under the hood.

The junction block is located inside the vehicle.

Fuse 20 and 21 in the Power distribution box powers up the ignition switch.

They are both 50 amp fuses. I would double check these first. Then check power in and out of the ignition switch.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN