Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

It is a 2005 Escape 3.0L XLT automatic that won't start.

Customer Question
Doesn't even crank, not even...
It is a 2005 Escape 3.0L XLT automatic that won't start. Doesn't even crank, not even solenoid clicking. Everything else electrical functions normally. I have tried to scan codes but for some reason the scanner will not communicate with the car and this scanner has worked on this car in the past. I notice that the ABS light is on and the 4WD light flashes 6 times once a minute. I also note when I move the shift lever that the indicated transmission selection does not change. Thinking it might be the range selector. Opinions?
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Just ABS and 4wd
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ensured battery terminals are clean, checked various electrical connections.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/26/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 1 year ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1FMYU93175KD51608

Thank you for that information.

If there is no communication with the PCM, then this is why the starter is not engaging. The PCM controls the starter relay.

You could have a blown fuse, faulty PCM or a wiring issue. You will need to check all powers and all grounds going into the PCM with the key on to ensure proper inputs. If all checks out good but the PCM is not commuicating, the PCM is at fault and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With the limited tools and documentation I have. I can see 12V at the battery junction box. All the fuses are good. No clue how to check a relay. The connections to the PCM up on the firewall are good and everything in the connectors looks clean with no signs of water/dirt/corrosion.

Thank you for that information. So if the wiring up to the PCM is good and the PCM has the correct inputs with the key on, the PCM is at fault and will need to be replaced.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN