Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1994 Ford escort wagon 1.9L manual transmission. I

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Ford escort wagon 1.9L manual transmission. I think I got bad gas last year. Since then I have done the fuel injector cleaner and changed the fuel filter twice and it improved but. has never gotten back to normal. About a month ago, it started sputtering worse than when I got the bad gas in the first place. Also, fuel cutout light comes on when I start, then goes off. Furthermore, when I press clutch in, the idle seems to dip. Are any of these problems related and what can I do to diagnose? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Has the computer system been scanned to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, is that something I can do our a mechanic? I'm on a tight budget so I'm trying to fix this myself
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Yes any mechanic can scan this for you and I would start there before you replace any parts. If you can get this done and post back with the results I can help you from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could I run the diagnostic test myself if I bought a scan tool? Which one would you recommend?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Because you have an OBD 1 system this type of scan tool is not likely available to you and you would be best served to have it done by a local shop.