david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 2013 Ford V10 6.8 Gas F59. The EPB (?) light is on.

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Ford V10 6.8 Gas F59. The EPB (?) light is on. It is a yellow dash light, with a circle around a lightning bolt. I am mechanically inclined and have many many tools and scanners. How do I troubleshoot this to fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

I be happy to help you with it

1- The lightning bolt is the fly-by-wire TB error. If you're getting the lightning bolt plus the 700-code from the tranny, you may have one or two connectors loose and it's causing communication problems. I'd start there and double check all of the wire harness and grounds on the tranny.

2- lets scan it and see what fault codes we have and go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is TB?I have no codes showing via a snapon LMT, HD, or OBD, or actron OBD

I m sorry it is the Throttle Body

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ah, :)

how many miles, is this firs time it haoppens

1- battery has 12 volt

2- alternator charging at 14 volts ?

3- What have you tried so far if any ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

You are in limp mode, reduced power condition at this time correct or the van still drives good, i doubt , you should have no throttle now is that correct ?

The throttle control warning light illuminates when a problem is detected in the ... It is usually a yellow icon that will go out in 1 to 3 seconds if everything is normal. ... When an electronic throttle control vehicle has a dead battery from say, leaving the head lights on ,did the battery die on you ?

Chad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry, stepped away for aminute. battery is at 12.16, alternator is at 14.36I guess all that typing previously was not communicated to you by the site. Sorry :)I tested the battery, alternator, checked fuses, scanned

no i m sorry i did not get that ,I apologize for that .

Have you tried a simple Reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not in limp mode. Vehicle works in relatively good condition. (potential brake problem)this is step van (modified stripped chassis)That reset procdure seems incompatible with this vehicleI can reset the battery cables, but there are no door monitors, key fobs, etc...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
any other thoughts while i let the batteries reset?

I see ,let just do the battery disconnect for now .

I don't understand on the brake problem ,no other warning light other the lighting bolt

Let me know what happens with reset , while I m doing some research on it ,any extra info that can help me , i d appreciated

Acceleration Control The acceleration control consists of one of the following: - a fixed accelerator pedal and position sensor assembly. - an adjustable accelerator pedal and position sensor assembly. The throttle is controlled by an Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor on the accelerator pedal assembly. The APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor sends a signal to the PCM in response to throttle pedal movements initiated by the driver. The PCM sends a signal to the electronic throttle control which increases and decreases throttle position.

this is how the throttle works

Overview The torque based ETC is a hardware and software strategy that delivers an engine output torque (via throttle angle) based on driver demand (pedal position). It uses an electronic throttle body (ETB), the powertrain control module (PCM), and an accelerator pedal assembly to control the throttle opening and engine torque. Torque based ETC enables aggressive automatic transmission shift schedules (earlier upshifts and later downshifts). This is possible by adjusting the throttle angle to achieve the same wheel torque during shifts, and by calculating this desired torque, the system prevents engine lugging (low RPM and low manifold vacuum) while still delivering the performance and torque requested by the driver. It also enables many fuel economy/emission improvement technologies such as variable camshaft timing (VCT), which delivers same torque during transitions. The torque based ETC system illuminates a powertrain malfunction indicator (wrench) on the instrument panel cluster (IPC) when a concern is present. Concerns are accompanied by diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and may also illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Electronic Throttle Body (ETB) The ETB has the following characteristics: - The throttle actuator control (TAC) motor is a DC motor controlled by the PCM (requires 2 wires). - There are 2 designs: parallel and inline. The parallel design has the motor under the bore parallel to the plate shaft. The motor housing is integrated into the main housing. The inline design has a separate motor housing. - An internal spring is used in both designs to return the throttle plate to a default position. The default position is typically a throttle angle of 7 to 8 degrees from the hard stop angle. - The closed throttle plate hard stop prevents the throttle from binding in the bore. This hard stop setting is not adjustable and is set to result in less airflow than the minimum engine airflow required at idle. - The required idle airflow is provided by the plate angle in the throttle body assembly. - There is one reference voltage and one signal return circuit between the PCM and the ETB. The reference voltage and the signal return circuits are shared with the reference voltage and signal return circuits used by the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor. There are also 2 throttle position (TP) signal circuits for redundancy. The redundant TP signals are required for increased monitoring reasons. The first TP signal (TP1) has a negative slope (increasing angle, decreasing voltage) and the second TP signal (TP2) has a positive slope (increasing angle, increasing voltage). The TP2 signal reaches a limit of approximately 4.5 volts at approximately 45 degrees of throttle angle. Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor For additional information on the APP sensor, refer to Engine Control Components. Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) System Strategy The ETC strategy was developed to improve fuel economy and to accommodate variable camshaft timing. This is possible by not coupling the throttle angle to the driver pedal position. Uncoupling the throttle angle (produce engine torque) from the pedal position (driver demand) allows the powertrain control strategy to optimize fuel control and transmission shift schedules while delivering the requested wheel torque. The ETC monitor system is distributed across 2 processors within the PCM: the main powertrain control processor unit (CPU) and a separate monitoring processor. The primary monitoring function is carried out by the independent plausibility checker software, which resides on the main processor. It is responsible for determining the driver-demanded torque and comparing it to an estimate of the actual torque delivered. If the generated torque exceeds driver demand by a specified amount, appropriate corrective action is taken.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no owners manual, hence the lack of knowledge about what the light means/is called. There was a report about potential brake problems, and thats why my research online pointed to it being a EPB light.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the accelerator system information appears to be this systems configuration.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no other warning lights.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
vehicle turns over fine, throttles fine, accelerates fine...

ok except , reduced braking ,is that correct ?

No vacuum leaks heard or visible ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no vacuum leakstalking with driver, he says brakes 'feel weak, and he has to press harder' fluid level is good, changing rear pads to make happy.... but feels normal regardless...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
started back fine.... light still on

What gives a weak pedal is brake master cylinder & hard pedal , Brake booster .

What is mileage please ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what exactly is the light called?What can contribute to it getting triggered?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
68466 miles. Ive tested MC and BB. they are good. that is why i said potential brake problemi am trying to resolve the light as well
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is hard to determine the driver's accurate description or even if it is valid

I have not ran into this before ,so i m not sure ,I will opt out of your question and open it for other expert that can assist your more on it

Chad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
here is the symbol
Expert:  david craig replied 8 months ago.

Hi Im David, do you have a modified chassis from the manufacturer? if so I believe that light is for electric parking brakes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Like any electronic system, problems can occur in the EPB if wires or circuits between the EPB switch, module and actuator are shorted, open or develop high resistance. Common faults such as an open fuse or low system voltage can prevent the system from operating normally. Most of these systems can self-diagnose gross faults, and will set a code and flash the brake warning light or display a "Service Parking Brake" message if a problem is present. A scan tool must then be used to read the code(s).

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do you have access to the previous chats with the other technicians?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have scanned with a OBD2 and a snapon scanner in LMT, HDT, J series, and OBD2 modes. no codes

no. only the previous chat with chad on this problem

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry about that ive verified the voltage
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
checked the main fuse box not sure if there is a specific fuse or relat to the epb lighy/system

due to the fact that these systems are still relatively new and low in number many non dealer scan tools will not have the software to interrogate these systems

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where do i get a scanner?

it will have to be scanned and diagnosed at a dealer for this system.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
well thanks for the direction. sorry to waste your time

its probably going to be the switch or the control module, but there is no way to tell until it is scanned

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no specs?

specs for what?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the switch or control module to test manually?

I can look but on a modified chassis vehicle, there are no manuals available that Im aware of.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ah thanks anyway

please accept the answer and leave a positive rating for me if you were satisfied that I led you in the correct direction on the issue with your vehicle. Its the only way I receive credit for my assistance. thank you and have a great weekend. good luck to you.