Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2007 Ford Ranger, 2.3.Manual. loss of power up hills,

starting to stall in neutral...
2007 Ford Ranger, 2.3.Manual. loss of power up hills, starting to stall in neutral while rolling, going through 1 quart of oil every 400 miles. PCV valve grommet is gone, and PCV has oil in it. Could it be that I am losing oil through the exhaust? (clean under carriage, no leaks) Would this also cause loss of power?
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: original gaskets, car has around 175,000. which hoses?
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, fixing myself. order new pcv valve, grommet and clip. need to install.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so. I can hear small rattling at certain rpm through the floor shifter.
11/26/2016
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

When you have a faulty PCV system allowing oil into the combustion chmaber this can contaminate the spark plugs and the O2 sensors. Which can reduce power within the cyinder as well as effect the reading of the O2 sensor which effects the air fuel ratio. I would address the oil loss through the PCV and any codes prior to other things. You may end up needing to clean the MAF and intake out with chemicals and replace the spark plugs.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Thank you Moose. I will clean out the MAF and intake, and change the plugs. Still concerned about my oil loss, as I am quite certain it is going out through the exhaust. My Cat is solid, so I know it isn't clogged. Would a faulty PCV system lead to oil loss?

If your not leaking the engine oil then you have to be burning it off from either a faulty PCV system or the PCV system is being overwhelmed from to much blow by.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Thank you Chris for your help and advice. I have been crazy busy, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. You were the help I needed (I hope, as I have not cleaned out the MAF yet). Definitely steered me in the right direction though!

Your welcome

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician