Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

I have a 2007 ford fusion and the transmission is starting

Customer Question

I have a 2007 ford fusion and the transmission is starting to slip. I read online that this might be fixed by updating the software on the transmission control module(TCM) and/or powertrain control module (PCM). Is there a way I can do this cheaply and fix or improve the problem before it gets worse??
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am thinking I can remove the PCM and TCM and send it to a software company like circuit board medics.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you .

1- yes you are correct what you read on the TCM & PCM software update,first call dealer ,give him vin # ,& they can check if your car been at ford dealer & update been done to it or not

2- in this case the best way is to take to dealer & update using there newest version software,this way you don't have to remove the modules & send it in to a company that rebuilds them ,the cost should be $150 to $175 at dealer ,which i believe around the same when you send yours in .

3- sure you can do that too, in case you live far from dealer and you don't want drive then you have to tow it ,so really either way ,works.depends on situation

4- make sure trans fluid is good & no metal shaving ,service it first before buying parts

Happy Thanksgiving

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cool thanks. So here is the deal: I don't own it yet, I found this car on craigslist for sale for $600! It looks new and just says everything works, but the transmission is starting to slip. There are some horror stories online about this model year and transmission failure.
But KBB says it is worth $2600-2800.
In your opinion, would it be worth the risk of buying the car, updating the software and selling it for a profit? or in the worst case scenario, having to drop in a rebuilt transmission and still not lose $$??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no call, please respond

For the $600 ,even if you dropping anther transmission you can not loose with it.

and if the software reprogram works ,you really in good shape.I would take a chance on it ,I m a car dealer also been for years, $600 for this car is cheap, i paid $875 for one last week at auction ,knowing it needs transmission and mileage had 165k miles

Go buy it and take a chance worst case scenario you get your money back, go in it thinking you need a transmission so this way you are not disappointment if it does .

good luck with it

Chad

sorry don't worry about the call, ignore it ,that is the system sending it not me i m sorry .

no call is necessary here,you got what you need :)

Chad

Hey how are you

Happy Thanksgiving

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Thank You
Chad Farhat