AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

P0174 codes idles rough 2005 expedition 5.4 liter. ltft2 is

Customer Question

p0174 codes idles rough 2005 expedition 5.4 liter. ltft2 is about 29 at idle. I have good compression,new plugs, checked back pressure before the cat, also swaped 02 sensors did make a diff. replaced intake manifold gaskets, injector orings. I also swaped manifolds and injectors from another junk 5.4 . it is screaming vac leak, i have sprayed brake cleaner all around no changes in fuel trims or engine running any different. i even made sure the hose on the back of the manifold was on good and tight. kind of seems like a mass air flow sensor but bank 1 has really good fuel trims. what should i check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thanks. i can get you live data too. i noticed that when i said swaping 02 sensors made a difference, that was a type o. swaping made no difference.
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, sounds like the intake manifold is leaking on the drivers side which is bank 2.

when they leak, it is hard to find when it leaks into the valley of the motor.

it is a very common failure. we have done a lot of intakes for just this reason.

not an O2 sensor. it is doing its job reporting high long term trims

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah, thats what i thought too. I replaced the intake with another used one and it is the same code and similar trims. i reset the kam too. both intakes that im messing with are a one piece. You think both manifolds are bad on the same side?
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

could be. a used one is not the best idea. they tend to warp when removed.

we use dorman manifolds which you can get at parts stores or on e bay. they have a different design. the gasket is impregnated into the manifold and has metal across the front area where they fail.

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a used one because i had to replace the engine due to only 32 psi compression on cyl 1 after leak down I determined the rings were shot. I did this after doing the timing chain,tensioners, guides, vvt solenoids, and phasers. phasers were making tons of noise, i also had the solenoid codes. These things are total junk. my used engine just cost 2400 dollars with me installing. I don't think I could have done the install without removing the intake. Oh yeah and spark plugs were super fun changing out too. sorry about the rant. my book says the torque spec is 19 inch pounds on the intake manifold. does this sound right? seems super low.
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

that spec is correct. tightening them too much warps them

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, ill let you know after i get a new one installed.Hopefully I wont have more questions. Thanks
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

Roy

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
well, that was not the problem. I just installed the new dorman intake manifold. she idles just like she did before. when it is in drive just sitting on the brake it is rough. Right after I give her some gas its great, good power on the highway. I got the p0174 code again and I got a cyl 6 misfire. I used a noid light on the injector and ignition harness while running and i was could verify that i was getting ground pulse. i also swaped coil and injector . It seemed to run better when i put the old spark plug back in??? The ones I replaced were motorcraft plugs fyi. did compression on that cylinder had 170 psi. cleared the codes reset kam drove great except at idle ran on the highway, checked the codes again got a cylinder 7 missfire this time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
also replaced that coil pack too, still idles bad
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced the cam sensors, I had brand new ones on the old engine, didn't help. also i noticed a little oil leaking from the left bank out of the pcv tube. I replaced that with a oem ford part. still kind idles like a random misfire, no misfires showing up, fuel trims are better. The intake air temp is showing 4 degrees the actual temp is 31 degrees out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just replaced the mass air flow sensor and my intake air temp is reading good now. it still idles rough .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

Different expert here.

Did you still need help?

Have you smoked checked the intake system using a smoke machine?

If not, this is your next step.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi, thanks. I don't have a smoke machine. maybe i can put a tee in the booster line and use a cigar?? Also I did the contribution test , every time i give it gas and let it go back to idle it will show different cylinders not contributing, it is very random. i cant make out a for sure cylinder. the misfire counter is counting just a few misfires, but it is showing them. when i use the $6 function and check on each cylinder it says pass on all of them. Think the cigar trick would work?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Hello!

YES, that is very clever and I do think it will work. It may take some time.. but it sure would be worth a shot!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will give that a try. I also ordered a smoke machine from ebay to try if the cigar trick doesn't work.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Sounds good!!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i just got back from getting cigars and driving on the hwy and in town. seems to idle better when warm. i also checked long term fuel trims at idle. bank one is -5 and bank 2 is 0. don't know if this helps.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Fuel trims are good!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah, they are good now. before intake and pcv tube they were really high on bank 2. i feel like im really close on this one. hopefully the smoke will let me know. thanks.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i finally got a cylinder 7 misfire and only have 55 psi compression, when i shut the vehicle off it jumps to 70 psi . I put it at top dead compression for cyl 7 and took out my compression valve and then pressurized with 150 psi air from the compressor. I have a decent amount of air coming out the intake, and a small amount by the rings. is there anything common on these like a valve spring that might fail. I don't hear any engine noises.So I think i have a bad valve or intake valve spring.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

YES, the intake valve spring could be broken preventing the valve from closing or the valve itself could be broken or bent causing this low compression issue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The salvage yard told me the compression was about 175 on the whole engine. I'll take the valve cover off and see if I have a failed spring. Thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad to help and glad to hear we are making progress.

Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer for assisting you.

5 STARS PLEASE! :)