Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Got a 2000 ford explorer 4.0 SOHC N NEED TO kno where the

Customer Question

Got a 2000 ford explorer 4.0 SOHC N NEED TO kno where the transmission drain plug is an what is the fill level on the dip stick is it on the crosshair part or the second dot
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: If I jus got it a week ago it hesitates so I checked it n think I over filled it
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Out more fluid in the tranny but may have over filled it cause the shifting got worse
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Where to drain it an how to read the dipstick an any other suggestions for and Danny that's hesitant on this model explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Lee,

The 2000 Explorer dose not have a drain plug, to remove the fluid you have to remove the pan. Do you need the steps to do this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I need to replace gaskets or rubber seals
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Yes any time you remove the pan you will need a new gasket and you should also consider replacing the filter. See the steps in the link below. The transmission hold right at 10 quarts dry and you will need about 5 on a drain and refill. The lever will be in the crosshairs once the level is correct.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Trans%20pan.pdf