Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1997 F250 diesel: starter spins on independent test but will

Customer Question

1997 F250 diesel: starter spins on independent test but will not turn the engine. The batteries are new. I don't think the engine is seized.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi Im David, can you manually turn the crank with a socket and ratchet/breaker bar??

were you able to try to manually turn the crank?

just checking in to see how its going

Expert:  david craig replied 9 months ago.

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Step one is to manually spin the engine with a ratchet on the crank pulley. You could have a locked up accessory drive pulley or a hydro locked engine. Can you report back on that?

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris