Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

High rpm over 4000 rpm loud knocking internal, Haven't had

Customer Question
High rpm over 4000 rpm...
High rpm over 4000 rpm loud knocking internal
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Haven't had the truck long had it checked they say it might be exsust system but its not ,took the fan belt off and still there really sounds like the rods but is only when the fan comes off that you can tell
JA: What year is your 4000?
Customer: 2002 its when is over or aroun 4000 rp.
JA: Are you fixing your 4000 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Change the muffler and took the belt off just to make sure it was not the fan clutch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. What kind of truck is this? What engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2002 f150 5.4 engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this chat still on ?

is it a very powerful knocking, or more of a ticking? does it appear to be coming from the top of the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No its loud hammering noise

and you have removed the drive belt to rule out one of the accessories and isolate the noise to somewhere within the engine, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As soon as the rpm comes down so does the noise

Ok. Without hearing it in person for myself, I can't say for sure, but I am thinking that it's most likely a noisy lifter. I would suggest changing the oil and using some rislone engine treatment.

That's not uncommon of a problem if oil changes aren't performed regularly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The previous owner didn't change the oil often but I have 2 times in less then 1000 miles
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very quiet at idle and until it reaches very high rpms

Definitely start with the engine treatment then. If that does not resolve the problem, then you may be looking at a timing chain or chain guide issue, but i would most definitely start with the engine treatment before digging into it further. Regular oil changes are very important especially in engines with plastic chain guides. The gritty oil wears the guides down and creates a condition where the chain loses tension, slaps, etc. Hopefully that is not the issue and it's just a sticky noisy lifter.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know how it goes, or if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. Please remember to rate my service as that is the only way we get compensated. Follow up replies are always free even after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok . It really doesn't sound like a lifter noise but I will try it. It's just weird. This engine has a really loud fan . It goes off at about the same time that the noise comes on ,it really sounds like the engine is gonna throw a rod
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the side, lack of power!

That being the case, you may very well be looking at a bad timing chain component. If it's been doing it for a while, then it's probaby not a rod. Connecting rods tend to progress extremely fast

Lack of power?

That helps point to a timing chain issue then. The lack of power would likely be the valve timing off due to the excessive play in the chain. Most likely a failed tensioner or guide.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The engine was worked on just after I got it could it be bad timing if so why at high rpm only ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They took a cylinder head off because of a broken spark plug

Was this noise present before that?

Timing chain play usually is louder with higher RPM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't remember, soon after I get it had the spark plugs changed ,that's when it was broken

Ok. did you notice the noise shortly after the work was done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as soon as I was able to drive it

Something may have been re assembled incorrectly. Have you brought it back to them to have them address it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's a pretty good mechanic shop ,. Might have to go to the Ford dealer i think.

when you brought it back to them, what was their opinion as to what it was?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didn't seam to bother the expert to much, he thought it was the type of muffler that was on the truck the noisy kind, so i had a shop put on the proper one and no change
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it have anything to do with the catalyst converter?

He thought an internal engine noise was coming from the muffler? I'm actually wondering, since he thought it was an exhaust issue, if it's a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. That will make a very similar sound to what you describe. That shouldn't cause reduced engine performance though.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks, I'll see what I can do

your welcome

Hi.. Just wondering what you found out?

AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician