Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My fusion 2011 sel with 3.0 engine and only 47,000. kms on

Customer Question
it would not start after...
My fusion 2011 sel with 3.0 engine and only 47,000. kms on it would not start after sitting for a couple of days. Battery was charged and the same thing happened after it had been charged and was driven for about 50 kms.it was charged one again and then driven to Canadian Tire, a large automotive garage wher I had bought this battery one year earlier. I asked the to chek the battey for phantom drain and they reported they could not detect any on their meter.. I had them r3place the battery and lo and behold, the next morning it was dead again. After recharging the battery, My son in law ran the engine for a few minutes and then dieconnected the battery, then used his multimeter on the bare bat terminals wewatched as thw battery started draining itself...with nothing on. It certainly would have drained itself.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: .Yes, he did. We're beginning to suspect it may be the relay on the alternator and it is failing to open when the engine is shut off.. I intend taking it to the Ford dealer where I bought it (used) . If they can.t come up with a betterreason for the problem, I'll replace the alternator.
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, only doing some trouble shooting. I have already answered this question.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I wonder why the first mechanic could not detect this phantom foltage loss when he specifically was looking for any drainage? Have you ever known the alternator relay to be at fault?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 1 year ago
nelson freitas

My name is ***** ***** I am a certified automotive mechanic for over 12 years now. I hope I can help you resolve this charging problem you have.

Firstly there are a few tests that I would like to have you preform before we get into replacing the alternator.

Have you checked the battery voltage while the vehicle is running at idle? it should be at approx 14 volts.

First check this with very little load on the electical system, so have things like the blower motor, hi beams, seat heaters, etc turned off. and then check again with all of them turned on. the voltage should reamin approx 13- 14 volts. It may drop a bit with all loads on but the alternator should be able to handle the extra load. If it is that tell us that the alternator is operating correctly.

Secondly to check for a battery drain, connect the meter in series with the battery. to do this disconnect the negative terminal, attach the red lead to the ground wire and the black lead to the neg battery post so that all of the current flows through the meter. and to ensure that the meter does not get damaged set amperage reading to highest setting.

Next if there is a hood switch to tell you when the hood is open that needs to think that the hood is closed, so if its a button style tape it down and if it is on the latch click the latch closed with a screwdriver so that the car thinks that the hood is closed. now with the key fob lock the doors. you can check to see what the current draw is but for an correct reading you need to wait at least 30 mins to allow all of the vehicles computers to power down. A normal current draw after 30 mins is less than 0.5 milliamps or 0.0005 Amps

Let me know the results of the test above and I can run you through any further tests that may be needed

Good luck,

Nelson

Ford Mechanic: anne-cssm,
 replied 1 year ago
anne-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/ford/a16if-fusion-2011-sel-3-0-engine-47-000-kms.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician