Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1st thanks for your time! I have a 2003 for explorer XLT, I

Customer Question
Hi 1st thanks for your...
Hi 1st thanks for your time ! I have a 2003 for explorer XLT , I took it to a repair shop for a check up of my transmission . It wasn't knocking hard or losing trans oil ,but I needed to let it warm up before I drive it and it had a smell of burning oil ! It been in the repair shop for the last month ! They rebuilt the transmission ,but when the two times I went to pick it up it drove for a 1hour or two and had to be towed back to the shop ! It will drive for a few then either knock hard or start smoking then it will disengage and the truck wont move! They change the Torque converter , trans pump, several times after the rebuild! The last thing the tried was change the pump because the said some how the pump wasn't flush with the input shaft completely or gear and strips the teeth! The pump wasn't long enough for the gear and the oil is not circulating through the system! Right now there at a lost! Any suggestion what they can try ? I already asked them if they tried looking back at the valve body valves, servo bore's, flow control valve, clutch packs ! Getting ready to tow it to another shop ! Again any assistance will be appreciated !
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: Don't think they have tried to change the hoses yet or the gaskets ! I guess that will be next thing to try !
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No its at a Transmission repair shop ,which states this is their 1st problem in years with this issue!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it! Thanks !
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

If I understand correct. Once the transmission heats up, it no longer moves in drive and reverse?

Where is the smoke coming from?

Is the transmission storing codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Mr .Chris - I hae left the repair shop for the today ! I will try again maybe tomorrow so I can have that information to question you asked ! Thanks !?

Thanks

Ron, ASE Certified Technician