Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

I have a 1989 Ford PU. It has been sitting for about 3

Hello. I have a 1989 Ford PU. It has been sitting for about 3 months. I went out to start it, and it would not start. The battery seems to be charged and it won't start. Please help.

Hello, start by removing the small wire on the S terminal of the solenoid on the fender. With the key in the start position check that it has 12 volts. Let me know what you find and we can work further.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I sorry for the delay...I have been working out of the area. There not seem to be any power at the solenoid. However, I know the battery is fully charged. The light and everything will work until I turn the ignition switch, it make one click, and kills everything.

If you're loosing everything as far as electrical power once the one click double check all your connections at the battery and solenoid. Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The connections are good at the battery and the solenoid. The temperature is right at freezing here right now. Also, I've never had any starter problems before this happened.

Hello, new expert here as the old expert has opted out, So, try this, turn on your parking lights, attempt to start the vehicle, if you get that one CLICK sound, see if the parking lights still work at that point, let me know, thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I changed the solenoid, the battery is charged, tried hotwiring it...nothing, interior lights come on. What next?

Hi, My name is***** you have a volt meter to do some tests? I can guide you through some tests to find your problem.

What engine do you have and need to know if you have an automatic or manual transmission?

If you have power to lights and as soon as you try to crank the engine you hear a click and loose all power then you are loosing contact between the battery clamps and the battery. Remove each battery clamp and clean inside clamp and battery post using a small wire brush until you see clean lead. Clean battery and connections with a baking soda solution and rinse and dry connections then install them. You should now have good power as long as battery has a full charge.

Experience: Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College