A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

F150 after for a little while I have to wait about 15

Customer Question

F150 after for a little while I have to wait about 15 minutes before it will start. It is not overheating in the engine, can it be something in the distributor
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 8 months ago.

Is this the same problem he has been having since he got the truck or is this a new problem?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The same problem, also when it starts it runs rough for maybe a minute.

This may be a fuel pressure problem. There is a test port on the metal fuel lines for the fuel injectors. It will look like a tire valve stem. I would like to have your brother test this before he replaces any more parts. He will need a fuel pressure test gauge and connect it to the test port and turn the key to on. He should get 35-45 PSI of fuel pressure. Then let is sit for several hours and see if the pressure holds. If it leaks down, replace the fuel pump. But if it holds for several hours and the pressure is 35-45 PSI when it will not start, we will have to look elsewhere.