Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2001 For F150 and was driving the other day and it

Customer Question
I have a 2001 For...
I have a 2001 For F150 and was driving the other day and it suddenly died. couple times prior it would stutter when excelerating but never died. Replaced fuel filter and took to mechanic but they can not find anything. No codes either
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: external
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We replaced fuel filter ourselves than took it in to mechanic and they can not find anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: after fuel filter was replaced the theft light started flashing but is now off
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 1 year ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Are you looking for possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

What size engine do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi

Hello!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
v6
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just answer online
both diagnose and cause. My husband is at the store right now

Ok, would you like to wait until your husband gets home from the store before we continue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you can write it out and I can answer what i can and he can review if you want. not sure how long it will take didn't expect such a quick response. thanks

NO problem.

Have spark and fuel been checked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spark plugs were checked and they suggest we replace coils but they do not think that is it. As for fuel no we did not but he has filled up since it started

Ok, it could simply just be a bad fuel pump. This is very common. I would check fuel pressure next.

Or another thing you can do is check to see if the engine runs on starting fluid. If so, you know it has spark and compression.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i will tell him is there anything else possibly? Does the Theft light mean anything? Even though it is off now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we replaced fuel filter not pump

YES, if the anti theft light is on or flashing, this could be a bad PATS transiever or a faulty ignition key.

Another possible cause would be a faulty PCM, blown fuse, wiring issue or even crankshaft position sensor.

When your husband looks this over and is happen, please dont forget to have him rate my answer. IF he has any further questions, please reply back to me below and I will be hapy to help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would the Theft light go out

If the problem is related to the theft system, the light will be flashing..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the theft light flashed after we replace fuel filter than when out and has not come back on

Ok, then no, the no start condition is NOT related to the theft system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok well we will look again. Thanks for your help and I will pass to my husband

Your welcome!!!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN