Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Have to change the ignition module. Have never done. Besides

Customer Question
have to change the ignition...
have to change the ignition module. Have never done. Besides disconnecting the battery, what all types screwdrivers do I need to remove the airbag and get all the parts off to get to the module? Have watched Fort Tech Makuloso but do not see how to get all the screws out and which covers to remove on a Ford Escape 2008 V6. Thank yoou. Don't want to screw up.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: No- battery is young. It is definitely the ignition module and I have the part.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 Ford Escape- V6
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Just do not want to start taking out screws and forget where I put them and wonder if I need just a Phillips screwdriver cuz on one video he used another type and I could not tell what he said.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. I am a Ford dealer mechanic for 20 years. I am unsure of exactly the module you mean, since the ignition module is integrated into the engine computer. Do you think you can send me picture of the part you are replacing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I call it a module It's just the cylinder the key fits into. I can do that part and have watched it over and over. It's getting all the plastic covers off that concerns me. I have a Phillips screwdriver, but one of the videos mentioned another type of screwdriver and I couldn't get back to that video to figure out what else I need. I am at the library trying to make sure I do everything right and have all my tools. I do not have a computer at home and just got a new phone I have to learn. While I am at the library I want to make sure I know the process and did not see how to remove the airbags.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am at the library. Am not going to do this till tomorrow. The town I live in and work in flooded but not my home. My job just came back up. My car starts but the cylinder is old. I spray it with ignition spray if it doesn't start, but I want to replace it so I have dependability when going back to work. I only need to know the tools and the airbag question right now so I can get my tools tonight on the way home. If worse comes to worst, my neighbor will help me. I just don't like to be a pest.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We can't talk on the phone in the library. I only want the answer to the tool question and air bag removal. Once I get those covers off, I am home free. The guy used an eggcrate to hold the screws. I'll just tape them down! I understand the process and just have a shaky memory from a carwreck so may be doing overkill and just need the two questions answered. please.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to figure out my new phone when I get home but need to do laundry, go to the store, feed the dogs, etc. The problem isn't urgent. I just need to have what I need when I start cuz I don't have another vehicle to go get something when I start taking off the covers. When I get all that done, I will look at my phone and try to pull up the text. Tomorrow afternoon is my first chance to start. My last three paychecks before the flood went to car repairs and labor so I need to do this. I'm tired of beans and rice but am thankful. Thank you. One day at a time....

THere is a wire clip that you push up, from underneath the air bag, on to release the drivers airbag. The other type of screwdriver is a torx bit. I can not recall what size but a torx bit set should work.

Let me know if you need more info. I have some shop manual instructions on removal and installation but there is a small fe of 5 dollars to create and send the PDF files. So let me know. THanks.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you. Please take a moment to rate my assistance and let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician