Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

MY 2011 F150 IS GONIG FROM 1ST GEAR STRAGHT TO 5THN GEAR,

Customer Question
USUALLY WHEN ITS COLD AND...
MY 2011 F150 IS GONIG FROM 1ST GEAR STRAGHT TO 5THN GEAR, USUALLY WHEN ITS COLD AND I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 78K NO LEAKS, ITS SPOPTLESS UNDERNEATH
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'VE CHECKED AND TOPPED OF THEN TRANSMISSION FLUID
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NOT THAT ICAN THINK OF
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/11/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

You mean it is jumping all the other gears and going into the top overdirve gear? How do you know what gear it is in?

You menntioned it does this when cold. Does it start to go normal when it warms up? How about after you shut the vehicle off and start it, then drive off with the transmisison warm. Does it act up and then return to normal or does it truly happen only on a cold fluid temp transmision?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean it skips all of the other gears and goes from 1st to 5th. It does it usually when it is cold but has occasionally done it at other times as well. I obviously can't see what gear it is in physically but the dash board shows the gears 1-6 and it goes from 1 straight to 5 and drives like it's in 5th gear even though I had just taken it out of park and barely started moving. It does it mostly when it's cold but has occasionally done it while I'm driving and I've had to slow down, the gears will come back down according to the speed I'm driving but it will kick out of the low gear into 5th, literally kick out of low gear into 5th.

That is why I was asking what it was doing.

These transmissions have a temperature sensor on them that will have them shift later to heat up the transmission fluid for better/smoother shifting. When the sensor in them acts up, you get the weird shifting pattern like you are having. I am thinking the sensor is eitehr reading wrong or not at all making the transmission think you are actually overheating instead of cold making the pattern be backwards. When the sensor goes out or just before it does, it will do that.

You will need the transmission pan dropped and the valve body moved to have it done. The sensors are not expensive. Most shops can swap it out in just under an hour.

I as asking how you were able to see what gear in case you had a scanner that was telling you to see what the temp as showing on the transmission with it. That was why I asked that question. If you have the scanner, you can see the temps and it will usually read off or it will throw a transmission code indicating the sensor is reading the temps wrong.

Good thin is there is nothing major. It is just the sensor causing the computer to shift the transmission wrong because it is reading the wrong temps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. What is the sensor called? Is there a specific name for it or do I just ask for the transmission temperature sensor?

Parts people call it a TFT sensor. It's technical term is a Transmission Fluid Temperature sensor.

The sensor is located on the lead frame assembly near the shift solenoids on the main control valve body. You'll have to drop the pan to get to it. That is if you decide to do it yourself. If you di it yourself, replace the filter, but reuse the gasket. The gasket is a reusable style gasket.

It is easy to change out. It is held up with 1 small bolt, about 8 mm in size. I use a nut driver or a 1/4" ratchet to remove it, unplug it, swap and install. It is about the size of a penny.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much for your help

You're welcome.

Jeremy
Jeremy