Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2001 ford ranger, 8th character on vin is U, and

Customer Question

I have a 2001 ford ranger, 8th character on vin is U, and the heater is blowing cold air. We have dealing with a coolant leak as well, and have been using blue devil to make the leak stop. Now the heater is blowing cold air. Any suggestions?
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: Hoses are about 3yrs old? We use a 50/50 mix
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes trying to fix ourselves. We've ised approximately 4 applications of blue devel stop leak. The heater just recently started blowing cold air
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We've replaced the thermostat several times, checked hoses and replaced, installed water pump, and had 2 different mechanics tell us a cracked head gasket, and then the other one said water pump
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

With the engine running at operating temp and the heat on ottest and blower on full speed. Carefully grab both heater hoses at the firewall are both very hot near 170-200 degrees?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. They are cold
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Chris. Thanks for the quick response

Thanks, ***** ***** means for now, no work or diag is needed on the blend door or its related components. We need to remove the hoses from the core and flush it with a garden hose in both directions to see if your stop leak has clogged the core. If the core flows great in both directions then you have a water flow concern on the engine side. So loop the heater core hoses using a clear section of hose with 2 double male fittings and hose clamps. Run the engine to see if the flow is limited or has alot of air bubbles which can mean a head gasket concern is present and a compression test is needed.

.

Thanks for letting me help you & for leaving me a ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~rating when ready. Rating results in the website paying me from the question fee you have already paid. Although I appreciate customers saying "Thank You" that alone does not result in me being compensated if you were pleased.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I'll have to do that tomorrow, and then get back to you on what I find out.

Super

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you show me a diagram of what the loop should look like? That way I can show my husband what needs to be done to test the water flow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Excellent, Thank you. I'll get what is needed in the morning, and contact you around lunchtime

Super

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris