Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Goodness overheating nightmare, yes and yes okay so this is

Customer Question

goodness overheating nightmare
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: yes and yes okay so this is a bit of a long one...so i have replaced the radiator, the temp sensor, the thermostat, and the fan motor on my car...now before i had all of those things replaced i had my fan straight wired to my battery and then with a switch that ran inside my car at one point even...well the wiring that was used apparently wasnt right or something because they kept melting so i was like this just needs to be fixed...well the person that put the new fan motor in (which i thought was uneccesary in the first place seeing as how it spun like a champ direct connected to my battery-but i really dont know too much about cars ) it has been making a super loud metal like clinking sound whenever it does decice to finally kick on ...bad news is my car is STILL overheating....ughhhhh. what is even more strange is it seems like the temp gauge inside my car seems to flux more than it did in the past...im so frustrated with this whole entire issue...S.O.S PLZ My car has 104740 miles. My car has an automatic transmission.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 94 thunderbird lx 4.6v8
JA: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced radiator, fan motor, temp sensor, and thermostat
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope okay
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 9 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. sounds like a real conundrum you got going on. first of when the car overheats, does it go all the way to the hot mark and if so, how long was it running while it was that hot?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i pulled over and turned it off as soon as i noticed it over the 3/4 mark
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its only overheated once since all that has been replaced but its getting over the half way mark in about 10 minutes driving which is making me nervous as i hear the fan is making a super loud clinking like sound since the motor has been replaced