How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ron Your Own Question
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 23821
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Ron is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a 1978 Lincoln Continental with a 400, need to know if

Customer Question

Have a 1978 Lincoln Continental with a 400, need to know if you can adjust the intake and exhaust valves?
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: engine was rebuild and a rv cam was put it ,mileage is terrible, if you are at a stop light and when you try to go the engine dies ,
JA: Are you fixing your Continental yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: someone else did the rebuild . and side that it dose not need the valve adjusted. I have not done anything to it yet,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 11 months ago.

Hi Im David, check this site out....

You can add valve adjustment shims of varying thicknesses under the bucket that sits on top of the valve stem; changing the valve lash slightly. In order to attain your expected power output, the appropriate Lincoln Continental valve adjustment shims will leave your valves open for longer durations than normal.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is the correct way to ajust the valves,
Expert:  david craig replied 11 months ago.

there is no correct way to adjust the valves when a different cam was installed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Need to talk to someone who can help me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Need to get my money back.