Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2009 Ford F-350 entire instrument panel intermittently goes

Customer Question

2009 Ford F-350 entire instrument panel intermittently goes blank, lose all gauges, radio, but continues to run normally.
Codes B1317, B1201, C1155, C1175, C1704, C1707, C1710, P008C, P0563, P0620, P0625, P1000, P132C, P1876, P215A, U0155, U0253, U3003-17.
We suspect a wiring/connector issue, but where should we start looking?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

If the vehicle is still starting and running normally then I would suspect the connector at the back of the instrument cluster or a solder connection in the cluster. A lot of communication takes place in the cluster on this truck. If the cause was in the communication network through the cluster then the truck would stall and not start back up again.

I would probably start by checking the connector in the back of the cluster. If you bang on the dash when the problem is occurring will it start working again?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jared, we took the dash apart and jiggled wires around all the connectors and couldn't find anything that made a difference. I did some more searching and found a post that says the instrument cluster may be shutting down due to over voltage. We checked at the battery and voltage is normal with the engine off but it's as high as 17.8v at idle. We're not sure if the issue is the alternator or the voltage regulator. How do we figure it out?
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

That's definitely too high. I've never seen an overcharging alternator interfere with the instrument cluster, but the circuit is definitely built in to shut it off in the event of an overcharge. Anything over 15 volts is too much so I would definitely think that could be the problem.

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate. Just answer compensates me based on your positive rating.