A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Where is the fuel inertia switch on a 2017 Ford Expedition

Customer Question

Hello
Where is the fuel inertia switch on a 2017 Ford Expedition EL xlt with a 3.5 ecoboost engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

The newer Fords no longer have inertia switches to cut off the fuel system. The RCM (Restraint Control Module) for the air bags now controls the cutting off of the fuel system in an accident.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok so if my vehicle was involved in a minor accident & the airbag deployed it would cut off the power to the fuel pump?

Yes, that is correct. It is more reliable than the old inertia switches that would stick and not open in an accident.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What would need to be done to re establish power to the fuel pump? Reset the RCM?

Either clear all the trouble codes in the RCM, or if they will not clear, then have it replaced. It will need to be programed to the vehicle with the proper scan tool to allow it to work properly in the vehicle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would the airbags need to be replaced/reprogrammed as well to re establish power? Or could the RCM be scanned/reset to re establish fuel while the airbags are deployed

Only the airbags that deployed need to be replaced. You can scan the RCM and have the codes cleared and retested to get the vehicle to run.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could I clear the RCM code without replacing the blown airbags? I am intrested in restoring power and turning on the truck prior to replacing the bags

Yes you can. You will still get the codes for the deployed airbags. But the vehicle should start.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have the code for the fuel shut off I should be looking for? Also software should I be asking the local techs if they have?

The local techs should have a scan tool that can gets codes from the Air Bag System. They just need the proper scan tool to do it. As for the particular code, it could be any of them.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Vcm 2 ford programing software work?

Yes, that is what we use at the dealership.