Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1996 ford e350 econoline van with 5.8 liter motor

Customer Question

I have a 1996 ford e350 econoline van with 5.8 liter motor the amp light is staying on i have installed a new alternator and battery but it battery is not getting charged
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

If you take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter with the engine running and back probe the yellow/white wire as well as the black/orange wire and the green/red wire at the alternator do you have voltage on all three?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Green and red 3 volts yellow and white .5 volts black and orange.5 volts
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Are you checking this with the engine running? All three wires need battery voltage.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but due to the ac box I have to use a bent paper clip to back probe the space is very tight
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

It would be very odd if all three wire are only reading .5 volts if you have 12 volts at the battery. If you can recheck it and let me know the results we can work from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The green and red should be OK the other two I am not sure is there something else I can test the box for the ac blocks getting a test light or meter leads directly on the connections when they are plugged into the alternator
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Yes check the fuse link A and B that should be connected to the starter solenoid on the same post that the battery cable connects to, this fuse link power both the Black/orange wire as well as the yellow/white. See the wiring diagram for testing reference in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/charge%20system%20Nov%206.pdf

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No blown fuses in the pdb
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Okay so which wires at the alternator are still not getting voltage?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Black and orange yellow and white
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Okay if you look at the wiring diagram I sent you you well see there two fuse links in the harness to both of these wires. Fuse link A and B. If you have no power on both wire then I would suspect your fuse link is blown.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where is the fusible link located
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Link not working anymore
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you tell me where the fusible link is located the Dropbox link for wiring diagram is not working
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

See it in the link below and be sure to print it out as it dose time out over time. Fuse link A as well as be are located at the starter solenoid at the same post the positive battery connects to. See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alt%20Dec%202.pdf

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you saying they are integrated into the solenoid because I suspected something like that the starter functions fine and when tested O'Reillys said it's bad Napa says it's good I don't see anything in the wires near the solenoid that look like a fusible link
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

No, there are a separate group of wires that connect to the solenoid on the same post as the cable coming from the battery.