AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 98 explorer, I noticed a roaring in front and

Customer Question

Hi I have a 98 explorer, I noticed a roaring in front and gradually got louder and louder until I parked it, I figure it to be wheel bearings, but I was told by a mechanic that it was ball joints and axles, however I don't trust this mechanic . There are no popping noises just a very loud roar. What is your opinion and what price range would it be to repair?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Well it's been parked for months now, but over the span of a couple months maybe 3 I felt it was bad enough to park it. It's in front sounds near tires Can sort of feel it in the floor board
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I'm not. I haven't had anything done yet. Trying to decide to fix it or sell it and I don't know how much to expect to pay to fix it. I'd have to tow it to a shop and idk if I can afford it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess that is all Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Ball joints and axle shafts do not cause a roaring when they go bad. They cause clicking or clunking when they go bad. Based on what your telling me, it sure sounds like the wheel bearings in front have gone bad. (one or both of them).

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

The price will vary depending on several factors. Here are the factors that I am talking about.

One wheel bearing compared to both fronts will determine the cost.

The shops labor rate

The parts (where the parts come from)

The warranty

The part mark up the shop uses

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

However, I will give you an approximate cost based on my experience.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

It is is***** the cost may be cheaper than if it is*****(depending ont eh bearings and set up in the front)

If you have tapered wheel bearings in the front rotors I would say the price would be about $150 to $200 bucks for one side.

If you have a sealed hub assembly with***** the price will be a bit more. I would say $250 to $300 per side.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

I do hope that answers your question. If you have any further questions, please reply back and I will be happy to help.

If that answers your question, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE".

Thank you and have a great day!!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.