Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Map light stays on, over head lights, reading lights on Ford

Customer Question
Map light stays on JA: Just...
Map light stays on
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: over head lights, reading lights on Ford 500.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 Ford 500
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pulled the fuse, however the radio and driver side window stopped working, had to replace the fuse, too much to give up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I have tried
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/2/2016
Ford Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

You need a scan tool to verify this, but a faulty door switch can cause this problem. You need a scan tool to see if a door is reading open even when its closed. This is a pretty common problem on the fords. I have seen this before.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lights will go off after about an hour. I figured that if a switch was bad, no changes would occur .

Can you turn them off with the dimmer switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, you cannot turn them off with the dimmer switch.

Is there a setting in the owners manual that you can change in the vehicle settings?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not to my knowledge.

I can send you a wiring diagram of the interior lights if you would like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can get a wiring diagram. That does not help with with this problem.

Ok I will open this up to other experts.

Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Does the radio turn off after you turn the key off and then open the drivers door?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the radio goes off when you open the drivers door.

Ok, you do have a bad door ajar/dome light switch on one of the doors. The lights will go out after awhile because the dash fuse box, known as the SJB (Smart Junction Box), which is a module, will turn the lights off by interrupting power to the battery saver relay and turning the lights off to save the battery. It is a designed operating strategy built into the system. Since the radio turns off when the drivers door is opened, cancels out that switch. The problem is in one of the other doors. Try this simple fix and see if it works. It is a 50% chance. Spray penetrating oil like WD-40 or PB-Blaster into each door latch and open and close the doors up to 20 times each and see if the dome light goes out with the key turned on and the doors closed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I oiled the door switches with wd40 and opened and closed them 30 or more times and the light still stays on.

The only other way is to have a scan tool connected to the vehicle and monitor all 4 door ajar switches to see what door switch is stuck open. Any good repair shop should have a scan tool that can do this, you do not have to go to a dealership.

A. Penland
A. Penland