James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Need help with 2004 F350 6.0 diesel. Intermittent starting.

Customer Question

Need help with 2004 F350 6.0 diesel. Intermittent starting. I'm not doing detailed diagnostics right now, just a few general questions regarding ckp, cmp and pcm
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 11 months ago.

Hi Im David, do you have any fault codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no codes. my question is related to what does what. if I had an issue with the wiring for the CKP - could the truck run? What specifically does the CKP do? Once I get it cranked I have no issues.

A crank sensor is used to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control the fuel injection or the ignition system

if you had an issue with the wiring the sensor would not let it start

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok so that sounds to me like if the wiring were bad / cracked / pinched then the truck would not run period.

correct

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2 other questions, is it normal for the cmp / ckp sync to bounce between 0 and 1 while it is running? And I do not have FICM sync until the truck actually starts - is that normal?

its not ideal, but its not unusual. as long as it doesnt vary any more than that, but then again you would have a fault code for those 2 sensors being out of synch

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok I know you need more specific details to help further but I won't be able to hook up AE and get readings until tomorrow. could I get back with you to continue or do I need to start another session? I assume need to look at fuel, high pressure oil pump, ipr, etc..

tomorrows cool. ill be here. ill keep this open

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks

you bet

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have AE connected if you are around to assist
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

I can certainly assist you if a phone call will be easier.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello - do I call someone or do they all me?
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

I am trying to send you a phone offer but it won't allow me to. If you are still able to send me a phone offer I can accept it right away and give you a phone call.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It won't let me either since I had already accepted before.
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

On your side does it say someone else accepted your phone offer by chance?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it has David Craig first, and then James
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Hmm I will email a moderator and see why I can't send you an offer. Unless I am able to help you on here? It is up to you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
lets do this now since we are both on. I have AE hooked up. FICM no sync and CKP / CMP no sync. battery voltage is down to 11.9 because I was trying to start it. I've got a charger back on now. FICM main power 47.5
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Before you can have FICM sync you need to have regular sync.

Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

If you aren't getting regular sync I would remove the camshaft sensor and clean the mounting surface all around it and see if this helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yep did that - removed camshaft sensor, cleaned. no change. it will eventually crank and runs almost perfect. thats what I can't figure out. tried wire jiggle - although new wiring harness installed 3 months ago. how about the pcm, is there a way to test it?
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

The only way to test the PCM is with an oscilloscope. Have you replaced the cam sensor or crank sensor yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have not replaced them no. again, if there were a problem with either it would never start yes?
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

not true. I would begin by replacing the cam sensor. The cam sensor is know to only cause a no start sometimes. It just depends on how the sensor fails. The camshaft sensor has failed many different ways though.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok i'll give it a try
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

sounds good. Let me know how it goes.