Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Last year i started my truck and it was sputtering and died.

Customer Question
then it would not start...
last year i started my truck and it was sputtering and died. then it would not start. i changed the fuel pressure regulator and it fixed the problem. However, after the truck would be warm, if i turned it off and tried to start it like 20 min later it would sputter on start up. i would turn it off and on the second try it would fire up. after awhile i started noticing it cutting out on the freeway, but not bad. this all went on for a year. today it started running real rough at idle and cutting out while driving alot. I have ran a fuel pressure test. At key on, engine off it is only at 10-15 psi (it still starts up) while running (idle or under load) it is a steady 28-30 psi. I have tested the regulator by inspecting the vacuum line for gas and disconnected the line while it was running. No gas was present in the line and the psi rose like it should have when i took the line off. Also after i turn it off it loses 15 psi right away.
JA: What is the voltage at the battery?
Customer: how did you respond so fast lol the cage in my truck reads normal. 14 volts when running
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: huh mini
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
10/30/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 1 year ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1ftex14h5rkb10969

Thank you for that information. Key on negine off fuel pressure specs are 35 to 45 psi and it should not leak down with the engine off (or key on engine off). If it does, it is likely a bad check ball in the fuel pump going bad and the fuel pump will need to be replaced. That will get you back up and running good again!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok cool. the pump is located in the tank right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is a check ball?

YES, the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. There is a check ball inside the fuel pump that only allows fuel one way (to the engine). But yours has failed so it is allowing fuel back into the fuel tank when the fuel pump stops running.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it not weird that it reads 10 psi and still starts up? and what is the spec for running? its at 30 psi. if its at 30 psi would that not indicate the pump is pumping adequate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh i see

The engine can start and run on low fuel pressure. But it wont run very good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i changed the fuel pump and all pressure is normal now. But.... the problem is still happening!! it runs better if i drop it into 2nd (its a 3 speed automatic). could it be the ignition module? please help

What is the fuel pressure at currently under a load?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
30 psi and 35 psi key on engine off and holds pressure when off

Ok, excellent!

Can you explain a bit more in detail of what is happening under a load?

Does the engine misfire or bog down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cutting out at idle and with a load. runs better in low gear.

Any codes in the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well the check engine light is not on. will it still send a code?

YES, it is possible..

However, here are some possible causes.

MAP/MAF sensor
Oxygen sensor
Distributor (engine speed pickup)
secondary tune up components
Throttle position sensor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ill check for codes. thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you dont think it could be ignition module

Hello!

In theory, YES. It could be bad. However, based on my experience, if the ignition module were bad, the engine simply would not start. By yes, you can certainly check it out as it would not hurt just to be sure.

I am glad I can help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already rated you. Money had been deducted from my account

No Sir. The rating process is seperate. You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance and also to ensure that you are happy with my assistance? Please let me know either way and I will be happy to help!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN