Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1991 F-250 when turning corners engine will shut off

Customer Question

Hi, 1991 F-250 when turning corners engine will shut off especially when warm. Cleaned out the air flow on the left side of the engine and the intake. Will also shut off and sometimes restart by itself driving down the road. Think it has a 460.
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Has been an issue for the last week and the truck has forty thousand miles. This vehicle did sit for quite a few years before getting driven again.
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Working on it myself. Cleaned out the three way air diverter that looks like a little electric motor and the intake.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of.....
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. replace the power steering pressure sensor and you'll be fine. the since turning the vehicle puts more load on the engine, and slows everything down the ecm compensate to keep power steering pressure the same so it doesnt stall.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks David, What is the location of the power steering pressure sensor ?

ill send you a pic

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks very much !!

i9 actually cant find a picture of it in my manuals. its located on one of the pressure lines and looks like this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I still can't find the location of that sensor for the power steering to save my life....I went ahead and purchased one, so I know what it looks like, but it doesn't look like it's on the pump and I've traced the lines and just can't seem to locate it. Google doesn't help or utube. any idea ?

call the dealer give them your vin and they can pull up a parts diagram/location.... i cant find anything, but im still looking.

any luck. i have a feeling that the truck doesnt have one. some did some didnt

any update?