Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

Ford 2006 f250 super duty. constant chime when key removed

Customer Question

ford 2006 f250 super duty. constant chime when key removed from ignition. door ajar light on full time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Is it Crew Cab or just 2 doors? thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Crew cab
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Alright, you don't have an advanced type scanner capable of communicating with the VSM (Vehicle Security Module) by chance do you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

OK, reason I ask is all the door ajar switches feed into this module and it would be easy to see which one was ajar when all the doors are closed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Door ajar was drivers door. The actuator worn so disconnected. When key removed from ignition, get a constant chime, also cab lights on all the time.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

It's likely the drivers door, as it gets used most often, but it could be any of them.

One thing you can try is spraying some brake cleaner up in the latch and trying to clean out as much dirt as possible, then spraying some WD 40 or PB blaster all up in the lock assembly where it catches the striker, the ajar switch is stuck with dirt, that can sometimes free it up, open and close the door about 10 times after cleaning the lock assembly as best you can and it can help. Otherwise, I would have to advise you to get the truck hooked to a scanner capable of seeing exactly which door ajar switch is causing the problem, otherwise you'll have to take off every door panel to unplug every door ajar switch to see which one is at fault.

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Here is the wiring diagram to give you an idea of what I'm referring to, if you see the all the door ajar switches on the right go into the VSM module.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did the wd40 thing but no joy. What about the key out of ignition constant chimes ?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

That's probably gonna be the lock cylinder little tab that is supposed to close when you pull the key out. That tab gets worn. You'll need a new lock cylinder and need to order it keyed to your existing keys due to those keys being programmed via PATS system. They aren't too much. Local locksmith can handle that job.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just want a fix for the chime bell and the cab lights being on all the time when the key is removed. Is there a fuse or something I can pull out to turn them off.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Let me look.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can the door ajar problem be bypassed, without having to replace the switch. ?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

You can pull the wire to the key in tab. Check this video, pull the plastic shroud off, pull the ignition lock cylinder out, and remove that wire from the key in tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib68433p6JM

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

That's not going to get the door ajar light out though, you can pull the wire's out of the chime under the dash.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried disconnecting wire to key tab, no joy. Unlike the video, with tab disconnected and touched to ignition cylinder there is no chime sound, still getting constant chime when tab removed.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

so when it's grounded you get no chime sound?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you have a picture/im of where to disconnect the chime under the dash ?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

If you want to run a jumper wire to the tab wire and ground it somewhere that would fix it right? Let me look.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It makes no difference if tab is connected or not, chime still persists when key removed from ignition.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Is the bottom of the steering column shroud off now? the plastic half?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

alright, take the bottom of the dash out on the very bottom, it's either on the column and you should hear it dinging and be able to feel it vibrate in your hand, or it's near the brake pedal shaft. It's right there somewhere.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
then what ?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Should be able to unplug it , but it will never ding for any reason after that of course.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's OK, will go have a look, but will this solve my interior lights being on all the time problem, at this stage my battery is near dead.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

the interior lights being on all the time is going to be that door ajar switch, but which one I can't tell you without hooking up a scan tool to monitor the signals to the VSM, or pulling every door panel and checking all of them unfortunately.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cannot for the life of me locate the buzzer, can you narrow down where to look.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there a way to bypass the door ajar switch?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

I don't want to really get into modifications. Another expert may assist now that I've opted out. Thank you.