Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

About 2 weeks ago I started having problems with my 2002

Customer Question

Hi about 2 weeks ago I started having problems with my 2002 Ford F-250 7.3 liter diesel. It would randomly decide it didn't want to start would crank but wouldn't start. I would wait 15-20 mins then it would start right back up and run perfect. It's done that about six times now. Now today I have had a new symptom not sure if they are related or not but my gauges started going haywire flicking all the way to hundred and then zero sometime plus my windows would not roll down and at night my lights would dim and brighten. The whole time truck was driving and running good. I was told maybe a instrument cluster issue but can a instrument cluster cause starting problems? Or any other ideas of what it could be?
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: i have not checked the fuel supply but was thinking its electrical because it starts after I wait ten or fifteen mins then runs perfect. No spark plugs it's a diesel so use glow plugs.
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I took it to the mechanic and it didn't have any codes or anything like that but he didn't check the ic I don't think, and by the time I got there I could not get it to replicate the no start. So he said he had no idea.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just that
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** what you are saying it sounds like the ignition switch may be failing. This will cause the vehicle to not start and it will cause the instrument cluster and possibly other electrical systems to go haywire at times. It would need to be tested when the problem is occurring, but it sounds like the switch has an internally shorting circuit. It may also be a bad connection at the fuse box under the hood but that is not nearly as common. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Wouldn't you have problems with while driving like stalling out if it was the ignition switch? My truck runs fine other than occasionally will have a start issue in which it will crank like it's getting plenty of juice but just never fire and then I'll wait ten mins or so come back and try starting it again and it will start up in run fine. Then will a ignition switch also affect things like the windows etc? So the gauges jumping happens quit often is this when the switch should be tested or during a no start?

The ignition switch closes the circuits for several circuits so it can affect some and not others. I usually test it, but it can be a bad ground connection or a connection issue in the fuse panel.