Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

14 Ford Fusion driver door window control does not work.

Customer Question
Other three window controls operate...
14 Ford Fusion driver door window control does not work. Other three window controls operate fine. Driver door lock switch works fine. I tried a different switch assembly on the dd and still no response. Not sure what to look for next.
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I just wrote what I tried.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not yet
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
10/24/2016
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Do you hear any clicking or any noise at all from the window motor inside the door when you move the window switch back and forth?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No noise or reaction from any of the four windows from the driver side door switch.

Just so I'm clear, you get no window movement from the drivers door switch, they are all inop from the drivers switch, but you can roll down all three windows from the other doors correct ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correcto

Do you have power on the RED wire going into the Drivers door switch?

Check fuse 25 under the instrument panel on the drivers side. Did you look at it? 30 amp. page 229 in the owners manual if you have it, if not let me know and I can post a link.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On this 14 Ford Fusion there is no red wire going into the door window switch(s). There are three leads going into the switch; white/green with 6.3v, a brown/yellow and a blue wire.

That is odd, as I am looking at this diagram.

This diagram is obviously wrong, as there are only 3 wires going to that switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No fuse panel that I can see under the instr panel. The only fuse block I can find is under the hood. Number 25/26 share a fuse (12.4v on it).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That diagram does not have the driver door window control switch on it. The three leads that feed the ddm you are referring to go to the switch. The ddm is behind the door panel which I don't have off.

here is 2 of 2 showing the switch with 3 wires. it's my mistake.

OK, so this switch operates on a network and the module is elsewhere that gets powered up by fuse number 25 under the dash. Do you have the owners manual by chance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuse/power at 25 is OK.

25 under the dash is good? I'm not referring to 25 under the hood.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
under the dash

Alright, likely the DDM has failed then. if you've already tried another switch. You don't happen to have an advanced type scanner capable of reading codes other than engine codes do you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a SnapOn Solus Ultra but it only has up to 2011 on it.

I gotcha, it's probably the drivers door module. if you could jump some power to the window motor regulator and it worked fine. and you tried another switch, that's about the only thing left.

Check power and ground to that module, if you have power and ground to it, (via that wiring diagram I uploaded earlier) then I believe that module is going to be the culprit.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I believe that DDM is the only thing left in the circuit that would cause your issue barring a completely defective motor since you tried another switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would that module throw a trouble code? I don't have any DTC's present

Can you communicate with the drivers door module?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have my OBD tool connected directly but not sure how to access the door module.

You speaking of your snap on solus right? I'm not sure if it will or not to be honest. I know it reads ABS and SRS and those kind of codes. go through that menu and see if you have a DOOR or BODY heading somewhere.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a headlamp and an instrument module available

OK, I don't think that's going to get them out unfortunately.

I think it might take Ford's IDS. I'm not sure what is out there that is compatible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I may also have two bad switch assemblies. I don't know if it's possible to test the switch, it is controlled with an internal circuitboard. There's only three leads but it has multiple functions for the different windows and mirrors.

That's correct, it sends varying signals to the DDM, and the DDM is responsible for all those other functions.

turn the key on, hold the switch down, and slam the drivers door a time or two. see if that makes the window go up or down. depending on whether it's stuck up or down, move the switch the opposite way.

hold power to the motor while you close the door, just to see if jarring it around any makes any difference.

Any luck with any of that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's pretty late, I'll try that tomorrow

Alright, Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before I remove the panel, is the ddm located behind driver door panel?
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician