Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1996 f250 diesel shuts off while driving then often just

Customer Question
kicks back on JA: How old...
1996 f250 diesel shuts off while driving then often just kicks back on
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 184kmiles. Always serviced
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Looked for wiring grounding under hood
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
10/23/2016
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Hello my name is***** first thing I would check or swap out would be the cam sensor. These cam sensors would cause all sorts of bucking and stalling concerns just like you shut the key off.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Better to swap as opposed to check? i think this is a relatively low cost part

Much easier to swap it out, what we find when we test them they always test fine. The cam sensors would all of a sudden stall, then start back up making it difficult to detemine the fault. Ford cam out with a recall for certain years of these vehicle which has since expired for most. The cost of the part is real cheap today, they used to be 240.00, now they are less than 50.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you need to have correct air gapping Or is it just remove 10 mil bolt put new one in Replace the bolt

Just remove bolt and install new sensor, they sometimes stick in the front cover, a long screwdriver with a twist wil usually pop them right out.

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician