AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My brake lights won't operate under normal conditions but

Customer Question

My brake lights won't operate under normal conditions but when the emergency flashers are on they appear fine
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Not sure when it was last checked, how would I check for myself?
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 expedition
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I was only informed of the problem yesterday when a friend who was following me noticed my brake lights didn't work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well not that I'm aware of, the only other thing I know is that people keep telling me it's either the fuse or the fuse switch
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Have you checked the fuses?

Are you looking for possible causes?

What size engine do you have? 4.6 or a 5.4?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
4.6, no I haven't checked the fuses yet, yes still looking for possible causes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Ok, no problem. Let me pull up your vehicle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok great
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

The brake lights and brake light switch are powered up by fuse F1.2 in the central junction box. It is a 20 amp fuse.

This fuse feeds the brake light switch on the light green/red wire. With the brake pedal depressed, the contacts inside the brake light switch close and allow power through to the brake lights on the light green wire.

So there are a few tests you can do.

1. Start by checking for power going into the brake light switch on the light green/red wire.

2. jumper the light green/red wire to the light green wire at the switch (With the connector disconnected) and the brake lights should illuminate.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I "jumper" a wire?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

You would simply connect the two circuits at the brake light switch connector.

CLICK HERE

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Did you have any further questions?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

I see you have viewed my last reply but have not responded back. I am just checking in to see if you have any further questions or to see if you still need help with anything? If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help. If I have answered all of your questions, please dont forget to honor the good faith rating system to complete this conversation.

Thank you and have a great day!