James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Electrically dead the: side remote mirrors, dome and

Customer Question

Electrically dead the : side remote mirrors, dome and interior lights, only wiper delay (slow and fast work), rear wiper and defrost. I am thinking signal source but fuses seem OK no owners manual or exact location of individual fuses available. Not sure I found multi control module fuse. Also Big vibration - engine going - not driving down road. Side engine mounts OK - not checked trany mount. Changed plugs - no change. Harmonic balancer?
JA: Have you checked the owner's manual?
Customer: I have no owners manual
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 3005 focus wagon
JA: What year is your Focus?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses ran wiring and checked some connectors, used pry bar on engine mounts dead solid.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think the electrical is a single source? Same with vibration?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Hello, is the vehicle running then?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The engine runs fine 28 mpg. But the vibration is considerable. The interior body panels raddle and you feel it in your body.Electrical : no side mirror remote control, no interior lights inside the car at night, no intermittent front wiper but slow and fast speed ok, no rear wiper or defrost in wagon gate.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am retired and must keep the expense down so stay on line please without the phone adding extra expense.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the multi control mod at fault?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Which fuse is the multi control 53 or ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It would help to have a fuse location diagram I have no owners manual.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you help me or is it better just to refund the credit card?
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

I'm trying to sort through all of your messages. You have multiple things going on at once. I can help but it needs to be broken down.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Rechecked all the fuses - none bad. Possibly one missing? When I opened the fuses access there is a picture of the fuses which I used to locate the most likely fuses to pull and test. I AM CONVINCED IT IS NOT A FUSE UNLESS THE FUSE WE NEED IS MISSING - THAT IS PREVIOUSLY REMOVED AND NOT REPLACED.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I dont know about the power to the multi function control which I suspect may control some of these items.
Is that fus among the fuses in the fuse panel under the hood and what number fuse is it? I checked the smaller fuses there as well and they are good. The physically larger fuses I did not check as it was getting cold. Is one of the large fuses the multi function control?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am also sure the headlight warning chime does not work. When the head lights are on and you close the door after turning off the ignition there is no sound of warning that the lights are still on. Is that also on the multi function control module?
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

The multi function switch is your turn signals, wipers, bright headlight control. The mirrors, dome, interior lamps should be separate from the turn signal switch. If the wiper delay doesn't work then most likely the wiper switch is bad. Do you have a test light or multi meter to test for power.

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

I can help you diagnose this but you will need a multi meter or test light. Fuse 35 inside the vehicle controls a lot of these items with the battery saver. This relay is controlled by the GEM module. The GEM modules are known for failing and are a common failure point.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a small multi meter. How do I open the wiper switch to check the intermittent function of the wiper switch?
Fuse 35 is a 7.5 and checked good. Is the battery saver a relay? And what and where is the GEM you are talking about? If the GEM has another of the same kind that can it be switched with its brother to evaluate?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assumed the GEM is like a relay and there are several in the system so substitution is possible within the system.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

The intermittent wipers are controlled by the GEM module on this vehicle as well. I will get you the location of the GEM module. It sounds like its going to be the problem though.

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

This photo will show the GEM module location. It is on the passenger side of the kick panel. If you smack the GEM module with your hand couple times and see if your electrical items begin to work. If they do then you know the GEM is at fault.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Having trouble figuring where the picture is located. Is it driver side or passenger side?
Is this GEM a part that can be purchased used? Is it programmed special for my vehicle or is it generic?
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Used is going to be the easiest way to get this module. The module should be programmed in order for all functions to work correctly. Most functions will work without programming the GEM. If you find any functions that don't work then I would have it programmed. Also it is located on the passenger side of the vehicle

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How to get to the GEM? I think I see it up behind and to the right rear of the glove box. How to get the glove box out remove the GEM?How about the vibration problem?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1S7T 15K600JD has a bold "J" on left side of label does that mean anything on this multi control module?
How do we test it to make sure it is not working? I tried banging several times and the dome light or interior
lights did not come on. A wiring diagram or schematic would help me understand color codes and operations as they plug into the module.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

That is usually the engineering number. If you find one out of the same year or within one or two years you should be good. I will find you the diagrams. I want to be able to find the correct ones that show the ground drivers as well.

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Here are two of the diagrams. If you look at the diagram you can see the GEM grounds the circuits in order to complete them. The ground drivers are what burn out inside the GEM module.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does the 201e plastic plug on the EMC have a specific color? I need voltages to help trouble shoot
my problems. If you could supply them for all 5 plugs on the EMC it would help, Remember I am measuring voltages on the plug with the each plug one at a time out of the EMC. After measuring a plug I will reinstall and measure next plug. Can you help me?I substituted the horn relay and the battery saver relay and found each are working fine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need the location of these connectors C270a thru to 270f please.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

I will try and find one exploded view. On the tope left page by the connector number there is a color of each connector if that helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where are these connectors behind the steering wheel?
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.
These are all the come off of the gem module.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe the GEM connectors are C201a - C201e but the ones you sent are the Central Junction Box
C207a - C207f connectors. Are they behind the steering wheel?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hot wired the interior interior lights and remote mirrors bypassing the BATTERY SAVER RELAY in the GEM. I believe this part of GEM is defective.
I need a pictorial of REAR WIPER RELAY location.please.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Ok, let me try and find the other connectors. You had listed above 270 so that is why I got those for you. I will get the others for you. What you did jumping power does prove the GEM module is at fault

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If these voltages look normal on Turn Signal assembly (ie, 17A553) then trouble is in the mechanics of the unit:
Connector C2081 pin 1 is 3 volts, Pin 6 is 2 volts, pin 7 is 2.6 volts, pin 8, 9 and 10 are each 12 volts.
These voltage were taken with the connector OFF the 17A553 Wiper/WASHER SWITCH and ignition key in RUN location.
In other words is the circuit delivering correct input to the wiper switch assembly? Can you tell if the voltages are what is correct?
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

all are correct except pin 6 should be 12volts in the run position or on position. Other than that you are correct. I'm sorry fort e the delay Ford had an electrical fire so there website hasn't been working well the last few days.