kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

1996 Ford Taurus water pump needs replaced. How should it

Customer Question

1996 Ford Taurus water pump needs replaced. How long should it take ? Does alternator need removed?
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: No it has not overheated. I do not know service dates since I recently purchased it from an elderly man
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bought a new water pump. My brother will replace it tomorrow.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thank you .
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me the 8th vin digit please so I can look up what engine you have in your car please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car is not here at moment. 6.0 V
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this help? 6.0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

It will either be a v6 3.0 sohc or a v6 3.0 dohc or it can be the 3.4. All three of these engines use a different water pump and they all have to come off in a different way. I need to know what engine you have to be able to give you the correct information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 is last digit
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

I need to know what the 8th digit is please. The vin is 17 digit number on the drivers side of the dash. You have to look in the lower corner of the windshield from the out side to see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1faLp52u5tg229281
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

With the U code for the engine you have a 3.0 ohv engine. Let me see what the steps are for replaceing the water pump. Be right back.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 year ago.

The labor time to do this job is 2.9 hours. but you should be able to do the job in just over an hour. Here are the directions for replacing the water pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a diagram only. Does the alternator and power steering pump have to be removed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a diagram ONLY?
Does power steering pump and the alternator have to be removed?