Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2003 navigator power liftgate has broken for the third time

Customer Question

2003 navigator power liftgate has broken for the third time (240,000 miles) I am wondering if there is a way to just use manually.
JA: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: When I lift manually I feel like there is a motor fighting me or a gear set that I am winding through. Just want to open easily by hand.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 240,000 miles and no leaks runs well.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks for checking
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately usually this needs repaired to be able to operate it properly.It usually wont hold if this is bypassed when it is opened as the lift mechanism usually helps hold it in place.In order to bypass this the linkage would need disconnected at the lift gate or at the control mechanism which can require removal of interior paneling to do this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete