Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My new blend door actuator i installed won't work. do i need

my new blend door actuator...
my new blend door actuator i installed won't work. do i need to disconnect the battery to reset computer or what. i have checked all 10 amp fuses also
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: yes under the hood and on the inside kick panel
JA: What is the model of your '10 Ford?
Customer: 2012 edge single control system.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the air was only delivering cold air so i bought a new blend door actuator and installed it on the drivers side. with it not installed i can manually move the arm and get hot or cold air
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just need to know if i should do something else
10/19/2016
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you working on a duel zone system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it only has one temp control knob

Okay are you able to do some testing ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am able to some level.

Okay the new actuator dose not require a reset so I would start with checking the signal at the new actuator. See the steps in the link below to do this. Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Act%20testing%20Oct%2019.pdf

I have also enclosed the wiring diagrams for the system for testing reference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Blend%20Oct%2019.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Blend%20%232%20Oct%2019.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi again Ron. i did your checks and the results are as follows
putting DVOM on Violet to Orange/Black the voltage is Zero volt and it don't change with moving temp control.
putting DVOM on Orange to Black i read 4.95 volts. there is no 1-4 volts red.need help please.

Did you check your fuses. If so and you not getting power at the actuator then that usually means the controller has failed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
from Violet to Orange/Black i am getting right at 5 volts

Let me ask you this, are you sure you got the right actuator ? There is a difference from the Manuel system verses the electronic system and they look the same but are not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well i got it from the Ford dealer here and they ordered it for me. How would i tell the difference?

I would have them recheck the part number to be sure they gave you the correct one. If you getting the signal on the orange /black wire then the actuator should move.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the Ford part number is ***** 19E616 B

I have no access to Fords part numbers , you need them to recheck the part number and if its the right part and you have done your testing right then you are dealing with either a bad controller or the new actuator is the wrong one or defective.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have changed the actuator again with a new one and the thing still don't work. So i am looking at a Controller? where is it located and what does it look like?

The controller is the unit that controls the AC system and before you consider replacing it I would recheck the test steps . One other r thing did you make sure the F 46 fuse in the interior fuse panel checked okay?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am at a loss now F 46 fuse is good and all the checks i have done don't add up. got voltage to the actuator motor but no movement.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
re-checked your steps and i'm at a loss. got voltage to the motor (4.9 VDC) but no movement. is the thermostat just like a restate? if so should i spray contact cleaner on it?

If you have the voltage the darn thing should be working. Cleaning any contact will not hurt anything as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician