Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

What could be causing my brake lights to malfunction? I have

What could be causing my...
What could be causing my brake lights to malfunction?
Hello everyone,
I have a pretty general electrical question I suppose. So I recently purchased a 2007 ford e350 super duty van. It has the Starcraft shuttle body. About two days after purchasing it I lost the functionality of the brake lights.
Heres what still works:
-I can shift out of park into gear
-The turn signals function
-Reverse lights function
-Running lights function
-Trailer lights function
Here's what I have tried so far:
-Checked fuse #11 - good
-Check the cables for corrosion
-Checked the grounds to the frame
-Checked the brake switch on the brake pedal
-Checked the multifunc. switch in the steering column
Vehicle information:
-2007 ford e350
-Starcraft shuttle body
-145k miles
-4.6L V8 engine
Things to consider:
This vehicle has a fuse box in the engine compartment, and beneath the drivers side of the dash, BUT ALSO, it has an additional fuse panel directly above the drivers seat in the shuttle. This is for what I assume are the internal electronics of the shuttle itself, however I'm not sure if they could be complicating this brake light issue in any way.
Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.
Thank you very much,
Dom
10/17/2016
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Can you check fuse 39 (10amp) in the interior fuse panel under the column. Thanks and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks like we have no fuse in slot 39!It also says "not used" on the fuse diagram. What could it be for?

It is a secondary fuse for the rear brake lights. Put a 10amp fuse in and see what happens and let me know.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician