Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

The power lift gate on my 2010 Ford Expedition Limited isn't

Customer Question
functioning properly. It will power...
The power lift gate on my 2010 Ford Expedition Limited isn't functioning properly. It will power open with the remote or buttons, but won't power close. I have tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, but that didn't do anything. If you try to close the door as it is power opening (partially opened) with the key fob, it will just release the door from the power function and it will just continue to open manually.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
10/18/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Before you do anything else I would try to reset the lift gate system. I have enclosed the steps to do this in the link below. Run these steps and see if this will get this resolved for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Lift%20gate%20reset%20Oct%2017.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron,I have tried that in the past with no luck, but I will try it again and let you know the results. I'm not sure if it is helpful at all or not, but the last time I recall the power close working was the day I picked it up from the dealer which was 2 and half years ago. The door was open and I power closed it with the key fob. Right after that when I went to start it the battery was dead and it had to be boosted to start. I only mention this because I have read about some issues being caused by power closing the door with a low battery.

A low battery can cause a loss of Initialization so that is the first thing you need to try. Let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried the reset process again but there was no change.

Okay if that did not work then the next step is going to be to scan the system and see if what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting in the lift gate control module. If you can get me a fault code and or codes I can direct you from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I just do that with a OBD II code scanner?

To retrieve these codes you are going to need access to a full scan tool A code reader will not retrieve these.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will I have to take it to a Ford dealership to have that done, or do most mechanic shops have that ability? Is there any other way to diagnose it without the scan? Thanks.

Most automotive repair shops have the scan tool and can pull codes for you as well as the dealer .

Ron, ASE Certified Technician