Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2005 Explorer: "Check Charging System" and red battery icon

Customer Question

2005 Explorer: "Check Charging System" and red battery icon on dash
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: No and no.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Ford?
Customer: XLT
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the alternator and belt
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, first I need engine size as well as tell me in order what happened, what you have done tried etc kind of time frame of events. Also do you have a testlight or voltmeter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.0L SOHC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We drove across the province in heavy rain last Monday. I try the vehicle on Friday and I get the error. So, I assumed the old alternator was bad. Replaced that today along with the belt. But, a test drive still produced the error.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

still need to know if you have a volt meter or testlight, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a test light. I do have an automatic battery charger. The batter registers at 12.6.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery registers at 12.6 volts.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

what is the reading with engine running. I must know the output when meter leads are hooked to the battery and engine running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Without the engine running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could go turn the engine on. Is that a good thing to do with the automatic charger attached?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

In order t o continue helping , tests must be done, I need to know what the battery reads with engine running, Yes, you can run with charger but may not get the same results as having a volt meter

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out. I need certain tests done you are not setup to do, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts, One should be along soon to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a tester and i get only 12.12 volts when engine is running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery does not seem to be charging with the new alternator.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Different exper here,

Check all fuses and battery connections. I can send you a wiring diagram of the charging system circuit if you would like.