James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I GOT 2009 FORD 6.4 ENGINE. IT HAS 38,400 MILES ON IT. IT'S

Customer Question

I GOT 2009 FORD 6.4 ENGINE. IT HAS 38,400 MILES ON IT. IT'S LEAKING OIL UNDER AND AROUND OIL FILTER HOUSING, AT LEST I CAN SEE OIL SITTING UNDER THE HOUSING. SPOTS OF OIL ON DRIVEWAY. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU,
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: I JUST BOUGHT THE TRUCK, AND DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE LEAK. WILL ASK THAT QUESTION.
JA: What is the model of your '09 Ford?
Customer: F 250 6.4 DIESEL
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NOTHING SO FAR. I THOUGHT I WOULD CHANGE THE OIL AND GASKETS, AND HOPE THAT IS THE PROBLEM.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I DON'T THING SO.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Hello, There are a couple of items that can leak oil. The oil filter housing can if it isn't fully seated. There are a couple of sensors that can leak as well if the o rings crack. I would get a can of brake clean and spray off all of the oil on top of the engine where you see it at. Then start the engine up and get to operating temp and look for fresh oil. It sounds like the cooler gaskets are leaking. Cleaning off the area and looking for fresh oil is the easiest thing to do. If you have further questions please let me know. Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.