James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 02 Ford Explorer 4Dr XLT and i am having a problem

Hi All,
I have a 02 Ford Explorer 4Dr XLT and i am having a problem with a loose shifter. I have looked at it and then called ford to see if there is a way to fix it. I was told that there are no parts available and i will need to replace the entire steering column. I was able to locate a u-tube video of a guy that repaired it but i don't know where he got the parts.
This is not a shift tube issue as the shifter uses a cable instead. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello, is this a column shift or center console shift?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Column Shift

On the back side of the column there are two screws that come loose and will cause the shift lever to come loose. This is the most common issue you will run into.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

are you talking about the two screws that is close to the foot pedal, at the end of the tube assembly?

should be two golden t30 torx screws.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i know what your talking about but this year explorer is different. It doesn't have the same shifter tube.....I have replaced, Repaired many of those type shifters and that was the first thing i went to. Completely different setup?????

I have seen the cast aluminum crack where the shifter assembly goes in. That is another concern I have seen on mid 00's
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

do you have a diagram as to where this crack would be? Is it repairable or would it require me to replace the whole column?

I will be working on this again monday. Thank you and let me know about the diagram. Enjoy your weekend...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcseud68bdphfu9/explorer.jpg?dl=0

Here is one image but they aren't always the same

please remember to rate my answer so I receive my credit for assisting you.