Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC. It began running

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Ford...
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC. It began running rough and check engine light came on. It read PO302 and PO304. I changed all 6 plugs and wires, lie light went out for about 48 hours then came back on and is running rough, and hideous gas mileage. I have a new Ignition Coil, do you think it could be that? Oh, I also changed the fuel filter.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
10/3/2016
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 1 year ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Are the same two codes in the computer after replacing the plugs and wires?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cylinders 2 & 4

And do those cylinders have spark while the engine is running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am about to pull the wires off of the ignition coil and check.

Ok

Another possible cause would be low compression, bad fuel injectors and or an intake manifold gasket leak near those cylinders causing these cylinders to misfire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so spray carb cleaner around intake manifold?

You got it!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN